Sep 28, 2013

City Color Lip Balms

City Color is an affordable cosmetics brand that I have only explored somewhat. I first discovered their products at IMATS LA, back in January. I bought a two dollar eyeshadow trio which is amazingly pigmented! When I found these lip balms available at Rite Aid I was quite excited, because I always feel that lip products are safe bets when trying new brands. 


The packaging is what really caught me eye, I'm a sucker for scribbly cursive writing. These of course came with plastic caps, which I removed for this photo. I'm not crazy about the tips of the balms sticking out of the tube! (One of my biggest annoyances). 


At first glance, these look like they would be a cream finish, but they are actually very shimmery! They are still pretty, but not exactly what I was expecting. 




On the top is the shade 'Bright Pink' and the bottom is 'Light Pink'. Such creative names.
Bright pink is a cool toned medium pink. Light pink is a warm toned coral-pink. Both shades have a considerable amount of shimmer and are very sheer. 

Claims:"Our Lip Balm is packed with Vitamin E leaving your lips ultra smooth with a splash of color. Comes in 16 stunning shades that will glide on your lips with ease and add moisture for a deep hydration."
Finish/Texture: The finish of these is sheer, but shimmery. The texture is very smooth, but I find that the shimmer settles into the lips in an unflattering way.
Lasting Power: Since these are quite sheer, they only last an hour or even less.
Scent: There is a very strong cherry/fruity scent that reminds me of Pez candies.
Packaging: The packaging isn't the greatest, the lip balms stick out of the tubes at the tip. 
Price/Availability: I paid $2 each at Rite Aid, you can also buy them online.

Likes:
  • Inexpensive
  • Smooth texture
Dislikes:
  • Strong scent
  • Cheap packaging
  • No lasting power
  • Too much shimmer for my liking
  • Don't feel moisturizing
Overall:
These are the type of lip balms that remind me of something I would have enjoyed when I was a little girl. You know the overly scented shimmery things that were just sheer enough so your parents would let you wear them? Haha, well these are exactly it. I would never get any use of them, because they don't last throughout the day and are just too shimmery for my taste. They certainly don't feel moisturizing as they claim to be, and the packaging is very cheap. The shimmer will settle into the lip lines if you try to build up the color. Hopefully next time I try something from the brand it will be enjoyable.

11 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this brand at Rite-Aid occasionally. I've never had any interest in the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always weary of cheap makeup products that don't have a permanent spot in drugstores. My friend really likes these because of the smoothness, but I personally can't stand 'em. They always end up making me look super cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Haha, I let my curiosity get the best of me. I won't be trying anything from City Color anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. I don`t know this brand but colours looks amazing!
    From very cheap brands in UK I like MUA (make up academy) - lipsticks are £2 each and quite good quality and nice selection of colours are available

    regards from UK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are so pretty! Great review!
    x

    http://crayonsandbeads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are not my favourite colours (and I don't like much shimmer), but I have to admit I kind of like the packaging :D:D

    macabre-moon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried some things from this brand before. They are very hit & miss. More misses than hits though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors look pretty and seem to be very wearable for the daily use. :) But i would like the stron scent part. I'm not a fan of those "lipstick smells".
    xo,
    Luchessa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They seem really nice! It's a pity we don't have them in my country. Great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they really look cheap.. agree with you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥