Apr 10, 2013

Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeshadow Sticks

Eyeshadow sticks are becoming increasing popular with drugstore makeup brands, which I'm really excited about! After seeing rave reviews on these new Rimmel Scandaleyes sticks, I had to get a few and try them out for myself. Personally, I don't understand the hype.  


 Out of the nine shades available, I chose Bad Girl Bronze (left) and Bulletproof Beige (right).


Wrist swatches of Bad Girl Bronze (bottom) Bulletproof Beige (top) and eye swatch Bad Girl Bronze (on lid) and Bulletproof Beige (in crease and browbone).

My main reason for disliking these is that they tug on the eyes, which irritated the delicate skin around my eye area. In my wrist swatches I used two swipes, and the color payoff looks great. On my eye I did the same, but the payoff isn't as intense and looks rather patchy. Bulletproof Beige looks almost nonexistent, which disappointed me!

Claims: "High impact colour Precision tip applicator Ultra soft formula glides on smoothly High-shine and luminous finish."
Pigmentation: The pigmentation isn't the best. The wrist swatches look amazing, but once applied on the eye they look patchy.
Finish/Texture: The finish of these two shades is metallic. The texture of the stick itself was a bit hard, to the point where it tugged on the eyes. I didn't find the formula very creamy or smooth. It was rather average, I was expecting silky smoothness! 
Lasting Power: About an hour after after I applied the sticks the color started fading even more so than it looks in my photo. However, I didn't experience any creasing.
Packaging: These eyeshadow sticks have to be manually sharpened, which ends up wasting product. I prefer the twist up packaging like NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils.
Price/Availability: I paid $5 each at Walgreens

Likes:
  • Variety of shades 
  • Can be used as a base for eyeshadow
  • inexpensive
Dislikes:
  • Color fades quickly
  • Pigmentation is lacking
  • Formula isn't creamy
  • Tugs during application
  • Must be sharpened which wastes product
  • Doesn't live up to any of the claims
Overall:
I wasn't impressed with these eyeshadow pencils. They aren't as pigmented on the eyes as they appear when swatched. I tried to build up the color, but the finished look turned out patchy every time. My main issue with these is that they are a bit drying and they tug during application. I would never wear these eyeshadow sticks alone, but they can be useful as a base. I however, feel that these tug too much and irritate the delicate skin around the eyes. Another problem is that they have to be manually sharpened, which wastes product.

I know that these pencils are being raved about almost everywhere, but I honestly don't believe they are anything special. There are other drugstore eyeshadow pencils out there that perform excellently compared to the Rimmel Scandaleyes sticks! 

9 comments:

  1. I found these patchy during application too which is why I solely use them as eyeshadow bases (which defeats the purpose because they're advertised as eyeshadows!) And they are good bases but that's not what they were intended for. The ones I really like are the Milani ShadowEyez, those really can be used as eyeshadows xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! That's why I returned mine, I prefer using cream shadows as bases. I think my Rimmel pencils may have been a bit dry, because they were hard. I've heard so many great things about the Milani pencils, I can't wait to try them out! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh I haven't used this products but glad I am reading your review! xx

    @ Grace of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look interesting but I think it may be worth paying more for say the Clinique ones? I've heard great things about them! Good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the Overall section of my reivew I stated that I wasn't impressed with these.

      The Clinique pencils are nice quality :)

      Delete
  4. I personally really love the turquoise one of these. But I was wondering, you said the Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencils are twist up. All the ones I've bought are manual. Is there a difference depending on where they're sold?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used the black, grey, and purple shades as eyeliners and have loved them! Well, up to the point where you need more product. Sharpening the pencil seems to ruin it. All I end up with is a messy, mushy product. Such a shame because they're the best eyeliners I've ever used. I've never used them as eyeshadow, nor have I used any of the lighter colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥